e-point Localization Platform delivers an integrated environment for project translation. It consists of the following elements:
- Online application (application.epointlp.com) to browse and translate texts.
- Python script to synchronize (import/export) the local localization source with the online application.
- A plugin used to enable context localization for a multi-language website.
Supported data formats
Properties files, iOS (iPhone), Android.
- Convenient interface for translating online with the Application
- Translate directly on production website with the Plugin
- Parameters validation
- Process management, notifications and permissions
- Track history of changes
- Conflict resolution
The Online Application makes the translation easy. The Translator sees a key name and base language localization in the left pane of the screen and, in corresponding columns, languages to translate in the right column.
Cells that contain text flagged as “translation required” are marked with red background to help find them. There is also a text search and fast movement to the next non-translated cells. Width of the columns can be adjusted to individual preferences, much the same way as in Microsoft® Excel.
To start using the Online Application, you must first create an account and new project.
The person who created the project becomes its Manager and can set up another user account and assign it to the project. In the project, the user can have one of these roles:
- Manager with all privileges: create new user accounts, assign them to project, synchronize source with the application, make translations for all languages, etc.
- Translator for all languages or subset of languages assigned by the Manager.
- Developer, who can synchronize source with the application and browse localization.
All changes to the base translation uploaded by the Developer and translations done by the Translator online are saved and it is possible to view their history.
The Python script is used by the Developer to synchronize the localization source (.properties files, android XML, etc.) with the online application. First, the Developer must set up the configuration: login and password, project name and languages list. Next, the script is executed and the local version is uploaded to the application.
Successive execution of the script uploads changes added by the Developer and downloads the translation made by the Translator. After completion of the synchronization process, an email with notification of new texts to translate is sent to person(s) identified as the content expert for a designated language (Translator).
The Plugin is used to make context translation possible. It is implemented in a multi-language website and works in the following manner:
The main advantage is the ability to translate directly on a hosted web page in production.
- A Translator enables a context translation of the multi-language website for a session with a “magic-url”.
- The Plugin asks the Translator to sign on his application account.
- On each page visited by Translator, the Plugin downloads the latest localization from the application and shows a widget used to edit text.
- When the Translator makes the translation, it is uploaded into the application.